What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Monday 22 September 2014

Yesterday I hit 2,000 miles and I see from the instruments that I am now only 16 miles short of 2,100. I went from Aberystwyth to Fishguard, where there is a big ferry to Ireland and a small drying harbour for yachts. I anchored out  in deeper water so I could get away early this morning, so didn't get chance to go and see the old port which is reputed to be lovely. But you really need to be able to stop for 24 hours to dry out against the wall and enjoy the pub. I was only resting for the night.

The coastline is very similar to Devon; quite soft fields behind some stark cliffs. Made me think of home.

This is the approach to the old harbour:
Today I came another 50 miles (almost) and am in Milford Haven. Famous for its oil tankers, it is nevertheless a lovely natural harbour with lots of places to anchor or moor - I could spend a week here. I stopped off at a place called Dale, just inside the entrance to the haven, then when the tide was right came up to Milford Docks for fuel. I shall stay here until tomorrow for a nice queit night, and leave on the tide at around 0500, heading to Cornwall.

This is entering Milford Dock:
Whilst this is the view from the bar, where it was still hot at 1800:
There's yet another big ferry to Ireland from Pembroke Dock, just over the water. I hadn't realised there were so many ferry routes to the Emerald Isle.

I need to be up at 0330 tomorrow for the next part of my voyage so am off to bed even though it's still daylight.



1 comment:

  1. Well done Pugsta nice weather but murk is on the way over here! Keep the chin up....

    ReplyDelete