What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Monday 8 September 2014

I am 35 miles further south now in Strangford Lough. It was a very clear day and I could see both Scotland and the Isle of Man very clearly. You have to look quite hard, but the first photo is Scotland at 20 miles; the height is only about 180 metres, whereas the IOM (second pic) has Snaefell at over 600 metres.

 The IOM was about 30 miles distant when I took this.
These are Northern Ireland's Mourne Mountains (800 metres or more, 12 miles away) with the sun going down behind them:
I'm in a place called Portaferry in the lough. I had thought to go further into Strangford Lough but it was just going dark as I came to the entrance and was pitch black by the time I got in here, and I could smell the irresistible aroma of fish and chips. Find an anchorage in the dark and have a tin of spam? Or tie up in twilight, walk ashore and have chips? I  took the softer option.

Some maintenance tasks came to light as I travelled along today so I may be here for the day tomorrow.

Forgot o mention that the forecasters fibbed again. It was a force five today until I got past the wonderfully named Burial Island, when it dropped back to the forecast 3 to 4. I averaged 7 knots though (5 to 6 under sail) and 10.6 through the Strangford Narrows - over four knots of tide and that was only an hour after low water. At peak it gets to over 8 knots, which would give me a combined speed of over 12 knots. Even in the relatively slack water I came though, the whirlpools were interesting. Sadly no pictures, I was too busy steering.

No comments:

Post a Comment