What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Wednesday 24 September 2014

Here we are in glorious Kernow, or Cornwall for those unfamiliar with the Celtic tradition. Arrived last night at Padstow in blinding sunset - so blinding that I couldn't see ahead nor the instruments or charts. Given the relative narrowness of the channel this might have been a disaster but timing is everything and  I had planned to arrive at the top of the tide so the sandbanks were less of a threat. At low tide today it was a bit more evident whee the channel lay:
On the way across from Wales (which was over 80 miles, so further than crossing to France) I was waved off by some Welsh dolphins, met in the middle by some more, and welcomed to Cornwall by this chap and his pals:
Padstow was lovely in the last of the evening sun.
Wandering about today I found a handful of Rick Stein restaurants (Padstow is known locally as Padstein) of which this is but one. £38.50 each for the set lunch (plus drinks) and it was heaving.
I also came across the railway station, which, unlike the one at Aberystwyth, did not survive the Beeching cuts. Where there were once trains there is now a car park; sad, bit not an uncommon sight in my trip round the UK.
But there is hope! Did you know that the National Lobster hatchery is here, right here, in Padstow? (Interestingly, Microsoft's spell checker does not recognise Padstow (being American and all) and suggests "toadstool" may have been what I meant to type. Yanks ae? Dontcha just luvvem?.) Anyway, they were queuing up to get in (people, not lobsters). I may be wildly wrong but I can't help feeling Mr Stein must be connected in some way to ensure a constant supply for his many tables.
Finally, a picture of Jojac against the quay in this afternoon's late sun. It has been rather nice here so far but I worry that the second-homers are taking over. Most of the shops are now Fat Face, Weird Fish, White Stuff, etc. although there are still two small convenience stores within a hundred yards of the harbour (yes, thank you Microsoft, it does have a "u" in it), unlike Salcombe (which doesn't have a "u" in it of course) where the trendy shops have completely replaced the essentials.





1 comment:

  1. Well done Pugsta.....back on the home strait, the nose of Devwall...an amalgamation of Cornwall and Devon!

    ReplyDelete