What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Sunday 13 July 2014

Well, here we are in Arbroath after a very smooth trip. Got up at 0330 and it was still dark - lots of cloud cover - so I waited until 0445 to set off as there were lobster pot mines across the fairway under the rail bridge. Made very good progress and got here at 1300. There was no wind so it was another engine day. Oh, and I broke through the 1,000 mile barrier just before 7 this morning.



Once out of the Firth of Forth the sea was flat calm. This pic was taken off Dundee and the Tay estuary, and you can see how flat it was. If you look really hard you can just see the Tay road bridge about 1/3 of the way across from left of frame. I can see it on the original, you may need a microscope. I was 12 miles off at this point.


Arbroath is famous for its smokies, as seen advertised here. Some of you will recognise the surname.There is of course a strong whiff of fish to the whole plaice. Incidentally, the people named in this business are clearly a partnership but I saw one of their vans - it only mentioned one M Spink, so I presume he has become a sole trader. Perhaps he just haddock nuff of his partner - the whiting was on the wall. I expect eel be ok on his own.



And finally, on a stroll through the metropolis this afternoon I came across possibly the most bizarre dental advert I have ever seen:


You have to remember this is a fishing town; when a dentist sees a tooth he will naturally want to fillet.

My next move will be to Peterhead, just 60 miles north. I can't leave here until tomorrow afternoon as the basin is locked until 3 hours before high water, so it may be a trip in the dark. The forecast is unimpressive and I may end up staying an extra day here. After that I'll have to get my skates on.

Customer: How much for the octopus?

Fisherman: A tenner.

Customer: It doesn't look very healthy.

Fisherman: OK, sick squid then.

1 comment:

  1. Well you crammed your fishy puns in like sardines in a can! You cod not have done batter! :-)
    Scotland looks amazing. Hope the smokie on toast is good.

    ReplyDelete