What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Wednesday 16 July 2014

I am now in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. Approx 57.4968431,-1.7901286 on Google maps

I arrived at 0330 after a most interesting night passage during which I had my work cut out to avoid the shipping, particularly the oil/gas rig support vessels. They are so lit up with searchlights that I can't believe they have any night vision left. Certainly the one that reversed towards me at speed couldn't see me, nor did he respond to my radio call. All you can do is take avoiding action, and then go to the loo.

This was the sunrise in Petehrhead. Quite spectacular, and it was so nice that I had to sit out in the cockpit eating Arbroath smokie pate and sipping a G and T, then a bit of wine, even though it was only 4.30 in the morning. The red sky did of course bode ill for the day, which has been rather windy and damp.

Peterhead is the only harbour of refuge on this bit of coast, which means you can get in any any weather and at any time. That makes it  attractive. It also has a beach, where people keep their caravans. Very nice.

The views of the sea from your pitch are not entirely uninterrupted, but if you like ships that is OK. You can just see Jojac to the right of the caravans.


Peterhead boasts a lively social scene but the draw of karaoke uniqueness was sadly not enough for this establishment:

But never mind, there is always retail therapy. The local department store has a clothing emporium (building on the right) and a furniture experience (on the left). The architecture will appeal to those familiar with Dartmoor, particularly the higher security bits in the Princetown area.

Some shops here still have early closing (on Wednesdays, which of course is when I'm here. A bit like most of the museums I've tried to go to.) Those that stay open clearly feel guilty and turn down the lights so you can't actually tell if they're open or not. Even opening the door is no real guarantee; they might just have forgotten to lock up.

I'm sure one could spend a happy few days here exploring Argos, M & Co, Ladbrokes and all the other quality retailers that make the high street special, but I'm going to make a break for it and head into the Moray Firth tomorrow afternoon. There is a weather window that will carry me through to Inverness, possibly via a place called Whitehills. According to the harbour blurb, Whitehills has no fewer than four fish restaurants and, according to reviews from visitors, also has excellent beer. You have to bear in mind that the reviews were written by sailors from Norway for whom any beer is excellent if it is less than £8 per pint.


1 comment:

  1. We are in Alpbach in the Tyrol right now and I must say i felt a sharp pang of jealousy on seeing these images. To think this could be lost to the UK in a few short months....

    ReplyDelete