What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Saturday 12 July 2014

I have been struggling to find reliable wifi and my own Vodafone mobile broadband doesn't appear to recognise Scotland. And that's before the vote. Anyway, that's why I haven't updated for a while. I am now in Queensferry, having come up the Firth of Forth yesterday. The marina is in an old naval harbour called Port Edgar. The buildings have not changed, as you can see in the photo above.

On the way up the Firth I went close in to Bass Rock,  which is about three hundred feet high and completely covered with gannets. 

I came under the Forth bridges about 10 last night - still light. Here are a couple of shots of the bridges and also one of the rocky islands in the Firth. This one looks like a Scottish Alcatraz.



I will head off again when it gets light in the morning, any time from about 3.30. I'm heading towards Arbroath, home of the famous smokie. The trouble with Arbroath is that it is tidal  AND the staff only work in the day. Hence my having to leave here at silly o'clock. The alternative is to keep going to the next port, Peterhead,  but that is a 20 hour trip which I'm not keen on. Besides,  I rather fancy the smokie. But will there be wifi?

Finally, this pic is from Edinburgh Castle. The Firth of Forth looks lovely as a background.










1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! The rock is another of those natural oddities; fascinating. Hope the trip continues well and looking forward to further posts. I trust you picked up enough French "ballast" to keep you going for the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete