What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Friday 27 June 2014

Spelling and typos corrected 29/6! Probably missed some though. I was obviously tired.

Last night I anchored off Cromer in Norfolk. It seemed far less grand than I remember from when I went there as a teenager. I had a great day from Lowestoft, lovely and sunny, lots of seals, but the distance from Lowestoft to the Humber was too far to do in one go. So I only did 40 miles yesterday and another 70 today. Last night's stop allowed me to eat something - I had exactly 7 minutes when the tide was slack in which to heat up a tin of squirrel soup.  The rest of the time it was too rolly. I got few hours kip too, and set off at 5 for the Humber, which is where I am now. I'm in the old fish dock,  which is exactly what says. Here's my view from the wheelhouse.  Note rain on window.....




Yes, it rained. And the wind! It blew uo to a force 5 which may not seem much but I have discovered the North Sea reacts badly to wind. Much more so than the deeper waters at home. So it built up some nasty waves, helped by the tides which also love the shallow bits here. End result was the worst,  most uncomfortable,  and prolonged harbour entry I have ever experienced.  And the headlands are only sand dunes offering no protection,  and five miles into the Humber I might as well have been in the open sea.  We were rolled more than when we came from Ramsgate, which Janet, Hannah and Alex will tell you, was like a faulty roller coaster but without the option of getting off. Anyway,  I made it after 12 and a half hours. The wind blew up again just as I came into the dock (the entrance to which was made invisible by the rain, but the lock keeper guided me in by radio.). All the flogging in the wind undid one of the jib sheets,  which are rigged so they can't get under the boat. But once the knot has shaken loose ..... so I had a rope round the prop just as I was trying to turn in space just 10 feet longer than Jojac.  Hurrah for the rope cutter,  which is fitted to the prop shaft. Expensive, but reassuringly so. 

This place is privately owned by the Humber Cruising Association,  and a chap has just come over to tell me the bar is open. So that's it for tonight.






No comments:

Post a Comment