What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Sunday 29 June 2014

Just out of interest I have now completed 740 miles since leaving home. Allowing for getting in and out of ports I probably have 450 miles to run to Invernes. I managed 210 miles last week, but had a day off in Harwich and have been weather-bound here for two days as well. If the weather holds and I can make progress every day from Tuesday onwards I can just get to Inverness by the 11th which is when Janet starts her hols.

Aldo vaguely interesting is that I have done 140 engine hours. In a car, allowing say 50 mph overall to cover town and motorway driving, that would be 7,000 miles. So I've done just over a tenth of that - but used about the same amount of fuel! It would be nice to have some wind that's going my way for a change. So far it has all been on the nose or non-existent.

Rather a busy day today, although still in Grimsby. Jojac is going to be lifted out tomorrow for some routine maintenance below the waterline, and I've spent most of today doing other maintenance and repairs around the boat. I also managed to get to Cleethorpes on the bus. Cleethorpes is even more of a traditional seaside town than Teignmouth or Torquay, complete with donkey rides on the beach and a little road train covered in hanging baskets.



In this final picture you get a feel for how wide the Humber is and just how much is sand. The small object on the horizon just above the man in red is in fact a ship - you need a magnifying glass to see it. The sand goes out for miles and miles. The lifeboat spends a lot of its time rescuing people who've been cut off by the tide. Also in this pic are two small blobs on the horizon either side of the photo. They are forts, built in WW1 to protect the Humber. During WW2 they stretched nets right across to stop the Germans getting in with submarines. Dodgy chaps, foreigners.


I will probably stay here tomorrow as I will miss the lock opening in the morning. It is open 2 hours either side of high water only. So Tuesday I hope to head off for Scarborough or Whitby. Fingers crossed for the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment