What's this all about?

I kept this blog going so that family and friends could follow the progress of my round-Britain voyage from 18 May to 5 October 2014.

Jojac is now back on her mooring in Teignmouth so there's nothing to report. I may do some updates when I start to repair the wear and tear from that trip - there are some things that will interest owners of similar boats, but will probably bore the pants off the rest of you.

If I am fortunate to be able to do another long trip next year, it will probably be to Holland - I'll let you know.

All the best, and thanks for your interest.

Andrew


Saturday 24 May 2014

24th May - now in Saint Vaast La Hougue, which is still a fishing port but is now mostly given over to yachts. My pilot book said it has the best street market in France and was quite correct. Luckily, the market is on Saturday which was today. Some samples of Calvados and associated derivatives were pressed on me but I managed to walk back OK with my selection of cheeses and cured meats. And with an AC Bordeaux at just over 2 Euros, it almost doesn't matter whether the sun shines or not.

Here are a few photos: first is leaving Cherbourg under a bit of a cloud (as in the weather, nothing I did).


This is the little fort that guards St Vaast:

And this is the entrance to the harbour at low tide:


And finally, la Place de la Republique. I think there are bigger ones, but with a population of only 5,000 it's not a bad effort.





That'll do for today I think. There are things to be eaten. Tomorrow may see us moving further east but as always it depends on the weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment